11 September 2008

9/11


I looked everywhere for pictures we took when we visited
each of the 9/11 sites, but I couldn't find them anywhere.
I'll keep looking, but I didn't want this day to pass
without some sort of remembrance. Charlie was shooting
near the Pentagon on that horrific day and was on the
scene shortly after the plane had crashed into it. The
photo was one taken by him of the destruction and a
letter he wrote to the choir members telling of his
experience.


My dear members of the Newark choir:

This morning, I spent much longer than usual in traffic,
due to the bright
sunshine. By the time I reached my
assignment, an apartment complex, which
just happened to
be 2 miles South of the Pentagon, I had heard the news
about the World Trade Towers. Not more than 15 minutes
after setting up my
first shot, I heard a plane that
sounded unusually loud (meaning low). I
thought to
myself, how ironic, considering what had recently
transpired.
Little did I know, that was The plane that
moments later crashed into the
Pentagon. Shortly
thereafter I saw the smoke, and began hearing the
sirens
of every emergency vehicle known to man! I
walked to the Pentagon around
12Noon, and took
this photo along with the other television crews, just
before the police announced that we were to immediately
leave the area, as
this was now a crime scene. So, I
walked the 2 miles back, and continued to
photograph
apartment buildings, while military jets patrolled the
skies
above me. My lab was nice enough to print my
pictures while I waited, and
viola! I only regret that
I was unable to attend the temple tonite due to
today's
activities. Many thanks for the calls and emails
inquiring about my
welfare.

Charlie


I can still remember how scared I was when I could not
reach him for several hours after the attack, knowing
that he was near the Pentagon, and the joy I felt when I
heard his voice. Seeing the sites had a sacred feel to
it; not only was Charlie by the Pentagon on that day, but
it's where my father worked for many years. The
Pennsylvania site was near my mom's house, and once
again, I was filled with awe from what might have been.
I've always been patriotic, but my pride and belief in
America has only been strengthened through these events.


"America was targeted for attack because we are the
brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world,
and no one will keep that light from shining."
     - George W. Bush


2 comments:

Maren said...

I appreciate your hopeful tone about America post 9/11. That is much needed. At least, I need to hear it.

Sally said...

I definitely have to believe in hope. I have always had a fear of flying, so for me, it's not because of 9/11. But, it certainly didn't make me feel safer on one! Since we have been told that this country is part of God's plan, I know that He is watching over us. That gives me hope.

Good to hear from you! Miss seeing you all.