07 July 2008

07/07/07 One Year Later

If I had had a choice, I would have taken off work today, but since I didn't, I guess I'm glad I was really busy.  I found myself looking at the clock, thinking about everything that happened at the same time a year ago.  The thought just kept repeating itself "a year ago right now I was burying my husband" and I had to hide my tears.

Not many people pick a grave because it is near the dump but ... going to the dump was one of Charlie's favorite things to do.  He & Gracie used to climb in his truck, and the two of them would ride off, happy to just be together.  She would watch him throw everything into the trash bins through the sliding window in the back - and then they would go get milk and donuts on the way home.  To him, that was pure joy.  So today, it just felt right to go past the dump and visit Charlie at the cemetery.  I was able to spend some time in prayer and am grateful for the peaceful feeling I had there.  

3 comments:

Maren said...

Jeff told me about your comment to him about picking the cemetery because of the dump. I remember Charlie taking loads of garden refuse from us to the dump. I wish I could give you a hug. I think that is long overdue.

Sally said...

Thank you for the thought - it'll be an online hug! Jeff laughed when I told him about our choice and the dump - it brought me a smile when I needed it. And it really it a beautiful setting as well!

Melissa said...

Charlie took a few loads of our flooded basement to the dump for us! I had no idea he liked it, I figured he was just being Charlie and helping out a friend :)

You're always in our thoughts.